Preliminary tests on a suspected Kenyan Ebola patient, who had travelled to Uganda, show that he might not be having the highly contagious disease. The 32-year-old male patient was admitted to a Mumias hospital with Ebola symptoms. Records indicate that the man had travelled to eastern Uganda on September 15 to visit a relative.
At the same time, six Ugandan health workers tested positive for Ebola as the virus spreads through three districts in the central region of Uganda. Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the health ministry spokesperson, said the infected workers had attended to a probable case. “Six medical personnel have tested positive for Ebola. We are told they worked on a probable case of Ebola in the theatre,” he said in a social media message. Earlier, Minister of Health Ruth Aceng said despite the infections, the medical team remained committed and the situation was under control.
President Yoweri Museveni announced that 24 Ebola cases had been confirmed in the country, with five deaths being registered. Uganda declared an Ebola outbreak on Sept. 20 after a case of the rare Sudan strain was detected in Mubende district, a town in the central region of Uganda.